Trusts, Estate Planning & Asset Protection
For many New Zealanders, protecting both themselves and their assets from unsavoury future events is a very important consideration. The usual tools used in estate planning for individuals include wills and enduring powers of attorney (EPAs). However, another important element to consider is utilising trust structures because the value of assets is increasing and creditors are becoming more aggressive in their pursuits. We work with clients to create structures giving them peace of mind knowing their affairs are in order.
To every client, our team brings a wealth of experience and understanding, and a desire to develop the very best structures for the creation, management, and distribution of their wealth. We take the time to get to know each of our clients; so that, we understand their current situation and their aspirations and dreams. As a result, we can apply our in-depth knowledge and breadth of experience of trusts and estates, and we can provide tailor-made solutions to their specific situation.
We provide our clients with specialist knowledge in a field where everything they own is at stake, and where the relevant laws are constantly changing. It’s important for us to make sure we keep up with the changes, not only in the law but also in our client’s lives. This means, we are constantly searching how to be proactive in suggesting structuring improvements.
Flexibility in our thinking is at the cornerstone of what we do: we know there is no one size fits-all solution. Knowing this demands outside-the-box thinking on a regular basis. We don’t just ask you for standardised information, we sit and work with you. Then, we can clearly set out your objectives. From those, we are able to suggest the right structure.
Your personal and estate planning affairs will often overlap with your property and business affairs. We can also help you with many of those issues to provide you with seamless advice. This is one of the benefits of using a firm that is large enough to have other resources to call upon but also small enough to never feel you are simply a number.
You have worked hard to build your business and personal assets. Our job is to help you maintain, protect, and grow them.
We offer to help you with:
- trusts - establishing, reviewing, resettling, varying, and vesting
- trust disputes – resolving family and trust disputes
- wills – drafting (regardless how complex) and advising
- powers of attorney – setting up enduring, general, and specific powers
- relationship property - advising in relation to the effect on trusts
- gifting - advising since the abolishment of gift duty
- retirement villages - advising on occupation right agreements
- residential care - advising on eligibility for government subsidies and government loans
- charitable trusts - establishing and registering charitable trusts
- tax - working closely with tax experts, if necessary, to ensure structures are tax-efficient
- foreign trusts - advising
Our Expertise Includes:
- Trust Disputes
- Powers of Attorney
- Relationship property - in relation to the effect on trusts
- Retirement villages
- Residential care
- Charitable trusts
- Foreign trusts